Home ~ Maltipoo Puppies for Sale ~ Contact Us
AKC Maltese Puppies for Sale ~ Testimonials ~ Puppy Care
Puppy Care and Training
How to care for your new Maltipoo Puppy :
The importance of beginning to train your maltipoo puppy as soon as he comes home cannot be over emphasized. Just a few minutes each day spent in fun interaction and training with your maltipoo puppy will reap life long benefits. Please take the time to read my recommended reading book. By learning how to interact with your maltipoo puppy, and understanding how a dog's mind works, potential behavior problems will be avoided. Help your maltipoo puppy understand what his boundaries are through obedience training. A well mannered puppy is one who will be loved by everyone and welcome anywhere!
It will be helpful to you and your new maltipoo puppy if you enroll in a puppy obedience class. This class will strengthen the bond between you and your puppy, teach you both about basic obedience and be a continued socialization opportunity for your maltipoo puppy. This class can be started as soon as your puppy has completed his puppy shots (usually between 12 and 16 weeks). If you prefer, professional trainers can also do individual classes, or come to your home for private lessons.
A List of Basic Supplies to have on hand when your Maltipoo puppy comes home.
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula for puppies – Chicken & Brown Rice recipe (can be ordered from Chewy.com)
- A copy of Jan Fennel's book or DVD of "The Dog Listener". It is a must read/watch for any of my maltipoo puppy's new owners. If you only read one thing-be sure this is it. Here is a link to The Dog Listener website.
non-tipping food and water bowls
Tags with the contact information for yourself and your
collar (harness is preferred for a small puppy) and a 6-foot leash
- An airline - approved home and travel crate
- Dog shampoo
-Brush and/or comb
, nail clippers (a slicker brush goes over the top of the coat to make it look smooth, and a steel toothed comb works great for going deep into the coat)
supplies such as a stain remover, paper towels, deodorizing
and odor neutralizing spray
- Chew Toys
- An exercise pen for assistance in crate training. These exercise pens are almost a necessity and can be found at www.petedge.com.
Snuggle Puppy -
this will help you
through the first
several nights and
will alleviate a lot
of the separation
crying that comes
with leaving their
- Snuggle Puppy - this will help you through the first several nights and will alleviate a lot of the separation crying that comes with leaving their littermates.
This is a list of the basic necessities. Your trainer may have additional items. There are many other helpful and fun products available at pet supply stores.
A well trained maltipoo puppy makes a much better pet than one who is left to his own devices. I highly recommend reading this book:
The Dog Listener
Author: Jan Fennell
If you only read one book before you get a puppy, be sure it is this one! Here is a link to her personal website (DVD's of her book are also available) Jan's website